Rather
exhausted I sat down after the last of five two-hour sessions of teaching in
two days. It had been rather warm, too. One of the pastors who had courageously
attended all of it, stood up to give the customary public response. But when he
used the words ‘axe’ and ‘blunt’ in one sentence, he somehow made me sit up a
little straighter. I had made some strong statements, but did he really mean I
had been using the sledgehammer at them?
| The area |
This
was at the close of our last Logos seminar. We have had a group of 25-30
pastors come for training every other week at the Logos
Resource Center
in Lilongwe. To
enjoy a time of concentrated learning and interaction, we invited them to a
conference center out of town, beautifully situated at the foot of the
mountains. I have learned that this location is key to the success of the
conference: there is hardly any cell-phone network, which means that the
pastors are honestly out of reach and free to study!
| Breakfast |
| Rev. Chisauka teaching |
Back
at the conference we all enjoyed the meal together. Several participants shared
with me the challenges they face in the ministry. For some it is the coming
rain; the church’s grass roof had decayed from years of rain and hot sunshine.
“Where do I shelter my people?” Some serve in congregations where no member
holds a job that generates some cash income. “All I get in the offering is some
food, even at special fundraising events, the most we collect is five dollars.”
But
across the field, all the pastors talk about one thing, whether they serve in
remote villages or in Lilongwe
town: “We are desperate for more training. In the city, most pastors have
attended a hundred and one seminars and workshops, but that does not mold them
for ministry.” More and more people in town hold degrees. They look down at the
pastor who has nothing to show for any training. In the villages, men become
elders simply because they can read the Bible and own one for themselves, and
are respected in the community. “Why can’t you start to offer degrees,
part-time programs, for us pastors from various churches.” Or: “Please come to
our church and train our elders to preach.”
With
those urgent pleas in mind I had entered the last day of the conference. I
perceived them as positive indications that the training that was conducted by
the colleagues and myself was well received. Therefore, the blunt axe took me
my surprise.
| Taking a break! |
But
I shouldn’t have worried. As usual, the words were used quite differently. “You
have given us an axe. When we buy a new axe, it is hard to use at first. It is
still a little blunt. But this teaching provides us with a tool, and the tool
will get even more useful as we set out to work. Often we see the job before
us, but feel as those without the means to face it. But brothers, we shouldn’t
excuse ourselves any longer. We’ve got this blunt axe – let’s go on and use
it.”
And
with that, I relaxed. Everyone felt like he had hit the nail right on the head.
John Calvin asked for wood to carve more ‘arrows’ in the Lord’s army. Here we
are asking for more axes – even if they are blunt! They will sharpen as they
are put to work! And of work there is no shortage…
| These students come from the South, waiting for the bus |
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.